The Charleston Digital Corridor Foundation seeks a Managing Director to oversee the operations and administration of the Foundation as well as to lead and expand its programs and services across the four traditional pillars of Talent, Capital, Spaces and Community, specifically supporting Charleston's rapidly growing and evolving technology industry. This is a leadership role which requires someone with a development mindset, engaging and charismatic presence - driven to not only maintain but also to expand and improve the organization. This is a roll up the sleeves and handle any task that is important to the mission position. The MD will directly support the ongoing vision and strategic direction of the Executive Director as well as working with state and local partners, consultants and volunteers and in alignment with the leadership of CDCF Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in planning, marketing, business, or related field AND at least five (5) years of professional level experience in business management, financial oversight, community development, organization leadership, marketing, business development, and event planning. Experience working in or supporting the technology sector is highly desired for relatability to our member base, which is specifically tech-focused companies. Experience working in a non-profit business environment is a plus.
General duties & responsibilities
- Serve as a primary spokesperson for the CDC in group presentations (large & small) and to the media
- Serve as head of staff, providing support, direction and supervision to all program and support staff
- Exude a customer service mindset and demeanor embodying the CDC's aim to serve
- Establish mutually beneficial working relationships with related community groups and organizations
- Assure that the organization stays on mission with steadily growing & improving outcomes
- Promote active and relevant participation by member companies and sponsors in all CDC programs & events, seeking continually to grow and improve
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field
- Lead in responding to emerging issues in the region's tech economy
- Recruit and engage with interns and volunteers
- Oversee daily financial management, cash flow, banking and assure proper financial protocols are maintained
- Maintain continually updated KPI dashboard reports and share as required
- Prepare annual budgets and forecasts and share with the BOD
- Maintain & extend operational solvency from current programs and services
- Manage and lead all administrative staff in place now or added in the future
- Hold regular performance evaluations and ensure solid human resource practices are in place
Membership & Marketing
- Engage with and convert callers and visitors as new CDC members
- Ensure ongoing and active social media marketing is maintained and ever improving
- Develop and send quarterly e-newsletters, monthly snippets, and ad hoc communications as required
- Oversee development and updating of branded materials such as stationery, member packets, office signage and other promotional items
- Ensure website content is up to date, and communicate technical needs with the Technology Director
- Oversee, promote, and drive high-utilization and occupancy in all available offices, co-working and conference spaces at the Flagship facility and any future spaces that may come online.
- Ensure the proper management of all aspects of the Flagship offices and facility, including cleaning services, security, utilities, signage, snacks & vending
- Plan, secure sponsors for and manage all aspects of hosting the annual iFiveK race, Oyster Roast, and other CDC hosted events to a high standard of success.
- Manage and promote CDCu classes including recruiting new speakers and promoting the same to drive healthy attendance and ensuring content value
- Manage and promote the CDC Tech Life Podcast working with the host to ensure future speakers and quality content/value.
- Investigate the creation of a new Capital program (likely in partnership rather than from scratch) supporting entrepreneurship, startups or early-stage company development thru events and investor participation
Candidates may submit their interest, cover letter and CV via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the CDC: The Charleston Digital Corridor is the Charleston region's premier organization dedicated to fostering growth and supporting the ongoing needs of Charleston's technology-based business community. The CDC leverages its strategic relationships with legislators, business, education and financial partners to introduce new technology companies into the local business community, as well as providing ongoing support by facilitating training, interactive, and social gathering opportunities.